Savory muffins make a tasty snack – perfect for hungry kids just home from school or to pack in lunches.
- 125g lower-fat spread, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 tablespoons skimmed milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 100g grated carrot
- 100g grated courgette
- 100g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 75g porridge oats
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan oven 160C, gas mark 4). Line a muffin tin with 8 paper muffin cases or squares of baking paper.
- Mix together the cooled lower-fat spread, milk, and eggs. Stir in the grated carrot and courgette. Information: The secret to successful muffins is to avoid over-mixing the wet and dry ingredients.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, dried herbs, and porridge oats.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, taking care that you do not over-mix. Spoon into the muffin cases and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until firm and golden. Cool on a wire rack.Information: Freeze some of the muffins in a freezer bag or box – they will keep for up to 3 months.